Buxton in Dare County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Life at the Light
Two residences served the keepers and their families at the Cape Hatteras Light Station. The larger building, the Double Keeper's Quarters (1854), was built for the staff of the first Lighthouse and today serves as Cape Hatteras National Seashore's Hatteras Island Visitor Center. The smaller building is the Principal Keeper Quarters (1871), constructed from materials left over from the present day lighthouse. It accommodated the head lighthouse keeper and his family.
Location. 35° 15.065′ N, 75° 31.736′ W. Marker is in Buxton, North Carolina, in Dare County. Marker can be reached from State Highway 12. Touch for map. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Paukenschlag (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cape Hatteras Lighthouse (approx. one mile away); Diamond Shoals (approx. 1.1 miles away); U.S.S. Monitor (approx. 1.1 miles away); Radio Milestone (approx. 1.4 miles away); Billy Mitchell (approx. 1.4 miles away); Mitchell Demonstrates Air Power (approx. 5.4 miles away); America's 1st Attempt at Civil War Reunification (approx. 9.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buxton.
Also see . . . Cape Hatteras Light Station National Historic Landmark Study. (Submitted on June 16, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Burlington, North Carolina.)
Additional keywords. Lighthouse, Outer Banks
Categories. • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Burlington, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 592 times since then and 46 times this year. Last updated on September 11, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 16, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Burlington, North Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.