Bayeux in Calvados, Normandie, France
Birthplace of Alain, Jean and Guillaume Chartier
Here were born, in the 14th century, Alain Chartier, poet, orator, historian, and his two brothers Jean, biographer of Charles VII, and Guillaume, Bishop of Paris
Location. 49° 16.73′ N, 0° 42.451′ W. Marker is in Bayeux, Normandie, in Calvados. Marker is at the intersection of Rue Saint-Malo and Rue Alain Chartier, on the left when traveling east on Rue Saint-Malo. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 80 Rue Saint-Malo, Bayeux, Normandie 14400, France. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. L'Esplanade Flachat (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Le palais Episcopal (approx. half a kilometer away); Le Doyen du Chapitre (approx. half a kilometer away); 50th Northumbrian Division Memorial (approx. half a kilometer away); Le Quartier du Pont Saint-Jean Les Abords du Chevet de la Cathédrale (approx. half a kilometer away); Un édifice du Xe siècle (approx. half a kilometer away); Le Rempart Gallo-Roman (approx. half a kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bayeux.
Also see . . . Alain Chartier. NNDB's biography for Chartier: French poet and political writer, born at Bayeux about 1392. Chartier belonged to a family marked by considerable ability. His eldest brother Guillaume became bishop of Paris; and Thomas became notary to the king. Jean Chartier, a monk of St Denis, whose history of Charles VII is printed in volume III of Les Grands Chroniques de Saint-Denis (1477), was not, as is sometimes stated, also a brother of the poet Alain studied, as his elder brother had done, at the university of Paris. His earliest poem is the Livre des quatre dames, written after the battle of Agincourt. This was followed by the Débat du réveille-matin, La Belle Dame sans merci, and others.... (Submitted on September 14, 2015.)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 13, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 213 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 13, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 3. submitted on September 14, 2015. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.