Former Health Spa Resort in Rural Union County
Near this site in 1879, J.E. Newhouse discovered a magnetic spring in his park, Green Bend Gardens. It was found that a knife blade dipped in the water could pick up small metal objects like a magnet. The spring became known for its curative powers and was advertised as a treatment for ailments including rheumatism, gout, insomnia, and diseases of the kidneys, bladder, and nerves. To share the health-giving water, Mr. Newhouse opened the Magnetic Bath House, which became famous for its water cures. To reach a larger market, the magnetic water was sterilized and bottled and sold under the Magnetic Springs label. Advances in medicine after World War II led to the decline in the popularity of mineral baths.
Incorporated in 1883, Magnetic Springs became a resort town and was visited by up to 10,000 guests in the summer months. Visitation increased upon the introduction of the interurban in 1903, known as the Columbus, Magnetic Springs and Northern Railway Company, which ran to Richwood and Columbus. An amusement park, Maple Dell, offered boating, horseback riding, golfing, and fishing. Several hotels, including the Ballard Hotel, Dr. J.F. Conrad Hotel, Incor Hotel, and Park Hotel, offering unique entertainment and furnished with bath- houses, operated in the town's heyday.
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentenniel Commission the Longaberger Company Leesburg Township Trustees Village of Magnetic Springs the Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 1- 80.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 20.877′ N, 83° 15.827′ W. Marker is in Magnetic Springs, Ohio, in Union County. Marker is on South Main Street (Ohio Route 37), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. marker is at the Magnetic Springs Baseball & Softball Assoc. Park, north of the intersection of St Rt 37 and St Rt 347. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23196 Ohio 37, Magnetic Springs OH 43036, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bethlehem Claibourne Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.5 miles away); Old Stone Church (approx. 5.4 miles away); Richwood Opera House and Town Hall (approx. 5.6 miles away); Radnor Presbyterian Log Church (approx. 5.9 miles away); Ostrander Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.2 miles away); Ostrander Town Pump (approx. 6.3 miles away); North Union District Veterans' Memorial Monument (approx. 6.3 miles away); Radnor Cemetery Lych Gate (approx. 6.5 miles away).
Categories. • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 261 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on September 19, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.