Canton in Saint Lawrence County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Memorial Halls's original use was as an official U.S.D.A. weather station. It then served as headquarters of SLU's ROTC program. Today it houses offices for SLU's Environmental and Canadian Studies departments.
For years, the main building of the School of Agriculture was called Cook Hall, in honor of an early Dean of the school. It was renamed in 1983 for SLU President Emeritius Frank Piskor.
The former Ag school dairy building was for many years the home of North Country Public Radio. St Lawrence's Admissions and Financial Aid Offices are inside Payson Hall today.
The main buildings of the Ag school, now called Piskor Hall, Payson Hall, and Memorial Hall, were constructed between 1909 and 1911. Fields, barns, and other outbuildings were placed elsewhere on the grounds.
In time, the School of Agriculture was renamed the Agricultural and Technical Institute, and by 1948, the State University of New York took over its operation. In 1969, a new campus for
Erected by St. Lawrence University.
Location. 44° 35.335′ N, 75° 9.768′ W. Marker is in Canton, New York, in Saint Lawrence County. Marker is on Park Street (County Route 27) 0.1 miles south of Maple Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is on the campus of St. Lawrence University. Marker is in this post office area: Canton NY 13617, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brewer Bookstore (within shouting distance of this marker); Richardson Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Herring - Cole Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Lawrence University (approx. ¼ mile away); Silas Wright (approx. 0.4 miles away); In Memory of those Citizens from the Town of Canton (approx. half a mile away); Village Park and Main Street (approx. half a mile away); In Memoriam (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canton.
Categories. • Agriculture • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 182 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 20, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.