Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Dumas in Moore County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Moore County

 
 
Moore County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 15, 2015
1. Moore County Marker
Inscription. Created 1876 from Bexar Land District. Named in honor of Edwin W. Moore (1810-1865), Commodore of the Navy, Republic of Texas. County was organized July 5, 1892, with Dumas (named for promoter of the townsite) as county seat. Stagecoach and freighters furnished transportation in early days. The county was thinly settled; ranching was the main industry, prior to discoveries of oil and gas in 1926. A zinc smelter was built in 1936. Economy is now based on petrochemicals, helium, oil, gas, cattle feeding, beef packing, ranching, grains, soybeans, and corn.
 
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3455.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
 
Location. 35° 45.659′ N, 101° 57.512′ W. Marker is near Dumas, Texas, in Moore County. Marker is on U.S. 87 0.3 miles south of Road U, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dumas TX 79029, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Route of the Old Tascosa-Dodge City Trail (here, next to this marker); Site of Historic Drift Fence
Moore County marker alongside Tascosa-Dodge City Trail marker. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 15, 2015
2. Moore County marker alongside Tascosa-Dodge City Trail marker.
(approx. 5.6 miles away); Geological Riches of Moore County (approx. 5.6 miles away); City of Dumas (approx. 6.8 miles away); Moore County Courthouse (approx. 6.8 miles away); Masterson (approx. 8.8 miles away); First Gas Well in the Panhandle of Texas (approx. 13 miles away).
 
Regarding Moore County. Marker originally erected in 1936 by the Texas Highway Department as part of the Texas 1936 Centennial. Replaced with the current marker in 1991 with a change in the last sentence.

Previously the last sentence read: "Economy is now based on petrochemicals, helium, oil, gas, cattle feeding, ranching, grains, soybeans, sugar beets and castor beans."
 
Categories. AgricultureIndustry & CommercePolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers
 
View of marker looking south on U.S. Highway 287. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 15, 2015
3. View of marker looking south on U.S. Highway 287.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 20, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement