Longview in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Banking — The Final Ingredient
Along with the abundance of natural resources, the growth of commercial agriculture and the distribution capability of the railroad, the establishment of banking supplied the final ingredient needed to solidify the development of Longview's expanding economy.
The first bank in Longview, F.J. Harrison & Company, was chartered in 1872 and located at 213 East Tyler Street. Between 1872 and 1913 five more banks were founded in downtown Longview.
The alley, running east and west at Fredonia Street received its name, Bank Street, because at one time or another, a bank was located at each of the four corners of the intersection.
Downtown Longview was firmly established as the East Texas banking center and became the heart of commerce for the area.
Erected 1990 by the City of Longview Commission on Arts & Culture.
Location. 32° 29.719′ N, 94° 44.318′ W. Marker is in Longview, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is at the intersection of North Fredonia Street and Bank Street, on the right when traveling south on North Fredonia Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 North Fredonia Street, Longview TX 75601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Everett Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Dalton Gang's Last Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Then Came the Railroad (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); From Subsistence to Cash Crops (about 300 feet away); The Courthouses of Gregg County (about 400 feet away); O. H. Methvin, Sr. (about 400 feet away); General John Gregg / Texas Secession Convention (about 400 feet away); First Came the Railroad (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Longview.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 189 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 26, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.