Longview in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Transportation: Model T's, Trains & Trolleys
In 1912, electric trolleys replaced the city's mule-drawn streetcars. Local industry included Graham Manufacturing Company's box factory, producing containers for shipping fruits and vegetables. R.G. Brown's saw and lumber mills, as well as a large planing mill operated by Castleberry & Flewellen, provided local employment.
Erected 2000 by One Hundred Acres of Heritage, Inc.
Location. 32° 29.744′ N, 94° 44.204′ W. Marker is in Longview, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is at the intersection of North Green Street and East Methvin Street, on the right when traveling south on North Green Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 219 East Methvin Street, Longview TX 75601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Longview Charters First Industry in Texas (here, next to this marker); The End of the Beginning (here, next to this marker); Technology Brings Modern Conveniences (here, next to this marker); The Oil Boom Brings Renewal (a few steps from this marker); World War II & Its Aftermath (a few steps from this marker); First Discovery Wells and Then the Boom! (a few steps from this marker); The Good Old Days (a few steps from this marker); Rails, Timber and Cotton Bring Growth (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Longview.
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association on Longview. (Submitted on October 2, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 234 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 2, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.