Carbondale in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Carbondale City Hall / Memorial Park
Carbondale City Hall
Carbondale City Hall is a detached masonry (brick and Pennsylvania blue stone) building, in the Romanesque Revival style, composed of a tower, a three-story wing and a two story wing. The building was designed by Truman Lacey of Binghamton and constructed in 1893-94 under the architect’s supervision, by W. D. Stevens of Binghamton and George H. Tyron of Carbondale. The dressed bluestone and trimmings for the building were supplied by Frank Carlucci of Scranton, from his quarry in Nicholson.
Present-day City Hall is Carbondale’s third City Hall. Carbondale’s first City Hall, a rectangular wooden building in the Greek Revival style, was erected in 1852 on the site now occupied by the two-story wing of the present building. The 1852 building was destroyed by a fire on February 14, 1860, and was replaced by a two-story brick building, which was erected in 1860 on the same site. The 1860 building is still standing in downtown Carbondale: it is the two-story wing of present-day City Hall. In 1893-94, Truman I. Lacey designed a new interior and a new roof for the 1860 building and incorporated it into his design for the present building which on January 6, 1983 was entered in the National Register Historic Places.
Up to the time when Carbondale’s
In the 1880s, under the direction of the William H. Davies Post 187 of the G.A.R. , an appeal was made to the public for funds to erect a fence around “the parade ground” and to erect a G.A.R. Monument and Foundation on the site. On May 30, 1885, the Civil War Monument in Memorial Park was dedicated, and the Park open to the public. A Fountain, with an allegorical figure on the second level, was erected between the G.A.R. Monument and Main Street. A watering trough for horses was later installed at the edge of the Park, on Main Street.
On Washington’s Birthday in 1894, in ceremonies conducted in Alumni Hall in Carbondale High School, Paul Berton of the Patriotic Sons of America, Camp 200, donated an American Flag and pole to the park commissioners for Memorial Park. The Flag was accepted by Mayer Eli E. Hendrick on behalf of the park commissioners.
Erected by Carbondale Historical Society. (Marker Number 1.)
Location. Touch for map. The marker is between the entrance to City Hall and the Police Station. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 N Main St, Carbondale PA 18407, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carbondale City Hall (a few steps from this marker); Patrolman William F. McAndrew (a few steps from this marker); Col. Alvin D. Ungerleider (within shouting distance of this marker); Memorial Park (within shouting distance of this marker); War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Carbondale (within shouting distance of this marker); General Jerome F. O’Malley (within shouting distance of this marker); Church Street: Five of Carbondale’s many historic Churches (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carbondale.
Also see . . . Carbondale Historical Society. (Submitted on October 5, 2015.)
Categories. • Politics • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 3, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 143 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 3, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. 5. submitted on October 25, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.