Foggy Bottom in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
“The Seven Buildings”
Erected c. 1795
The Embassy of Mexico incorporates the two surviving facades of a set of seven row houses known as “The Seven Buildings”. This complex has an intimate relationship with American history, and the government of Mexico is proud to honor and preserve this landmark’s legacy.
At the dawn of the 1800s, this complex housed the Declaration of Independence. Later, it was one of the early homes of the Department of State. Most famously, the Seven Buildings housed President James Madison and his wife Dolly between 1815 and 1817, while the White House was being rebuilt in the aftermath of the War of 1812. As a testament to the strength and depth of the ties that bind our two countries and peoples, Mexico commemorates the bicentennial of its independence and the centennial of its revolution with this plaque for the people of Washington, DC, and of the United States of America.
Erected 2010 by The Embassy of Mexico.
Location. 38° 54.03′ N, 77° 2.645′ W. Marker is in Foggy Bottom, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on Pennsylvania Ave NW, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1911 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington DC 20006, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least Union Engine House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home of James Monroe (about 600 feet away); Edward R. Murrow (about 600 feet away); George Washington (about 600 feet away); "The Bachelor" (about 800 feet away); Marquis de Lafayette Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Gamow (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ingrid Bergman (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Foggy Bottom.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on the "Seven Buildings.". (Submitted on October 15, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 243 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 5, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.