The White Mills Community Trail
The Canal and the Rails Spark the Growth of White Mills
—Transporting Glass to Customers —
(Inscription beside the image in the lower center)
Transportation was valuable to many businesses, including the Honesdale Glass Works, in the village of Traceyville, which was on the D&H Canal two miles west of White Mills. Honesdale Glass Works operated from 1846 to 1902. During that time, from 1873 to 1881, it was a subsidiary of the Dorflinger Glass Works. Loading glass on the canal was not a difficult task, and the canal created access to
(Inscription below the image in the upper right)
The original locks of the Delaware & Hudson Canal Company were 76 feet by 9 feet but were enlarged in 1850 to 100 feet by 15 feet. The tonnage that an individual boat could carry increased from 10 tons in 1828 to 40 tons in 1850.
(Inscription below the image in the lower right)
It is believed that the original Erie Railroad Depot was built in 1848 when rail service began to White Mills. That depot burned in 1888 and was rebuilt in 1889. An addition, shown to the left in his photo taken around 1920 was later added.
Erected by Dorflinger-Suydam Wildlife Sanctuary.
Location. 41° 31.558′ N, 75° 12.181′ W. Marker is in White Mills, Pennsylvania, in Wayne County. Marker is on Main Street
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named The White Mills Community Trail (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named The White Mills Community Trail (a few steps from this marker); Dorflinger Glass Works (within shouting distance of this marker); History of Hawley (approx. 3.4 miles away); Delaware & Hudson Gravity Railroad Coal Wagon (approx. 4.2 miles away); Zenas Russell House (approx. 4.2 miles away); Stourbridge Lion (approx. 4.2 miles away); Delaware & Hudson Canal (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in White Mills.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 118 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 9, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.