Landover in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
War by former slaves from local tobacco
plantations. Ridgley Methodist Episcopal
Church was first built in the late 1870s on land
deeded to trustees Rev. Lewis Ridgley, Joseph
Beal, and Richard Cook in 1871. Cemetery added
in 1892. The church was replaced in 1921 after
the original burned. School was held in the church and benevolent hall until a new school
opened in 1927 under the Rosenwald program. It was restored and reopened as a museum in 2011.
Erected 2015 by Maryland Historical Trust & Maryland State Highway Administation.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Rosenwald Schools marker series.
Location. 38° 53.454′ N, 76° 51.13′ W. Marker is in Landover, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Central Avenue (State Road 214) 0.2 miles west of Capitol Beltway (Interstate 95/495), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is on the lawn off the westbound Central Avenue sidewalk, between the Ridgley Methodist Episcopal Church and its historic cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8900 Central Ave., Landover, MD, Hyattsville MD 20785, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least Ridgeley Rosenwald School (approx. half a mile away); Tragedy Strikes Trooper 2 (approx. 1.5 miles away); Philip Reed (approx. 1.8 miles away); Elizabeth Keckly (approx. 1.9 miles away); Osborne Perry Anderson (approx. 1.9 miles away); Thomas R Hawkins (approx. 1.9 miles away); Christian A Fleetwood (approx. 1.9 miles away); Archaeology at the Frame Quarters (approx. 2.1 miles away).
More about this marker. Note that there is no parking at the north side curb on Central Avenue. A limited number of vehicles may find parking near the church via the long driveway extending southward from Brightseat Road at its intersection with the south end of Glen Valley Drive.
Categories. • African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 12, 2015, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 260 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 12, 2015, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 1, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.