Newport Heritage Park
Route of the United States Despatch Riders
who entered Perry County through Sterrettís Gap (originally Croghanís Gap), crossed the Juniata River at Reiderís Ferry, bearing orders from the United States Government War Department to the forces at the front, on the Canadian Border during the War with Great Britain (1812-1814).
Site of Landing of Reiderís Ferry
This marker is located at the original landing of Reidersís Ferry, also the name of the first settlement her, later known as Reidersville, and since the coming of the Penna. Canal in 1829, as Newport. Reiderís Ferry was established prior to 1804 by John, Paul and Daniel Reider who plotted the original lots of Newport.
Erected by the Perry County Historical Society 1960
Though the commitment and loyalty of the residents of this community to recover from natural and economic adversities, the community remains intact and prospers. In recognition of those residents, we rededicated this memorial on July 22, 1990.
Newport Celebrates 175 years July 19-25, 2015
Location. 40° 28.61′ N, 77° 7.952′ W. Marker is in Newport, Pennsylvania, in Perry County. Marker is on Market Street (PA 34). Touch for map. This
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Paulís Lutheran Church (here, next to this marker); Newport Fugitive Slave Rescue (within shouting distance of this marker); Carson Long Military Institute (approx. 4.8 miles away); Carson Long Institute (approx. 4.8 miles away); Donald Campbell Willard (approx. 4.8 miles away); Perry County (approx. 4.9 miles away); New Bloomfield World War I Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away); Perry County Civil War Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 19, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 137 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 19, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.