New Brunswick in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Owned and occupied from 1774 by General William Burton of the British Army.
Owned by the Commissioners of Forfeited Estates 1776-1783. Occupied in 1776 by Colonel George Janeway and in 1777 while the British occupied the city by the Enniskillen Dragoons.
Owned and occupied 1783-1798 by Colonel and Commissary General Charles Stewart and 1798-1820 by John Garnett, scientist and author.
Owned and occupied from 1821 by Colonel Joseph Warren Scott, who gave it the name Buccleuch, and later by his grandson, Anthony Dey.
Given with its land to the city of New Brunswick in 1911 by Anthony Dey in the name also of Mary Laidlie Dey, Joseph W. Dey and Richard Warick Dey.
Marker series. This marker is included in the George Washington Slept Here marker series.
Location. 40° 30.394′ N, 74° 27.453′ W. Marker is in New Brunswick, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is on George Street (County Route 672), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located on Buccleuch Mansion in Buccleuch Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 George Street, New Brunswick NJ 08901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Buccleuch Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); New Brunswick Sailors (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cuban Howitzer (approx. 0.3 miles away); 1895 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Raritan Landing (approx. half a mile away); On This High Ground (approx. 0.6 miles away); Queen’s College (approx. 0.8 miles away); Men of Rutgers College (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Brunswick.
Also see . . . Buccleuch Mansion New Brunswick, NJ. Daughters of the American Revolution. (Submitted on July 8, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,335 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 8, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.