Williamsburg in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
Dr. Mahlon W. Locke
Born in nearby Matilda Township, Locke studied medicine at Queen's University and in Scotland. In 1908 he opened his medical office in this house. Interested in arthritis, which he believed was caused principally by fallen arches, he treated many arthritics in the following years by manual manipulation of their feet. Large numbers of his patients claimed to be cured or relieved by this method and his reputation spread throughout North America and overseas. From 1928 onwards thousands of the sick visited Dr. Locke in Williamsburg where he reportedly treated hundreds of persons daily. During the depression years this enormous influx brought significant prosperity to the region.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
Location. 44° 58.519′ N, 75° 14.58′ W. Marker is in Williamsburg, Ontario, in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties. Marker is at the intersection of County Route 18 and Locke Lane, on the right when traveling west on County Route 18. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12385 CR-18, Williamsburg, Ontario K0C 2H0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John McIntosh (approx. 6.4 kilometers away); The Rev. Johann Samuel Schwerdtfeger Sir James Pliny Whitney (approx. 10.2 kilometers away); The Williamsburg Canals (approx. 10.3 kilometers away); Early Power (approx. 12.6 kilometers away in the U.S.); The SS Mary (approx. 12.6 kilometers away in the U.S.); Ogden Island Mansion (approx. 12.6 kilometers away in the U.S.); Aultsville Train Station and Locomotive 1008 (approx. 12.6 kilometers away).
Also see . . . Life as a Human - The Story of the Toe Twister. (Submitted on October 22, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 144 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 22, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.