Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Temple in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Organization of the Texas Forestry Association

 
 
Site of Organization of the Texas Forestry Association Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 6, 2015
1. Site of Organization of the Texas Forestry Association Marker
Inscription. One of Texas’ oldest conservation organizations. W. Goodrich Jones (1860-1950), who came to Temple as a banker in 1888, felt need for trees in this prairie town. He led planting drives in Temple, and in 1889 saw to establishment of a statewide Arbor Day.
     Asked by the chief U.S. forester to survey Texas forest resources, Jones later enlisted aid of friends. On Nov. 1, 1914, he and about 20 associates met in the Carnegie library, then adjacent to the Temple public square, and organized the Texas Forestry Association. This body’s original aim, to gain public support for a state department of forestry, was accomplished within a year. The department was created by law in 1915; it was later retitled “Texas Forest Service”.
     The Texas Forestry Association has since aided in the restoration of 11,500,000 acres of commercial forests—lifeblood of a large segment of the Texas economy. Over 2,000 woodland owners, tree farmers, industrialists, professional foresters, and concerned citizens are TFA members. Under such leaders as Jones, who served as president in 1914-21, the TFA has been the voice of forestry in Texas, urging expansion, protection, proper management, and wise use of all forests and related resources.
 
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker
Texas Forestry Association and<br>City of Temple Markers image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 6, 2015
2. Texas Forestry Association and
City of Temple Markers
Number 6448.)
 
Location. 31° 5.835′ N, 97° 20.472′ W. Marker is in Temple, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Main Street and Adams Avenue (Texas Highway 53), on the left when traveling north on N. Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in front of the Temple City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 N. Main St, Temple TX 76501, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. City of Temple (here, next to this marker); Pool of Tears Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Temple Public Library (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bernard Moore Temple (about 500 feet away); Wilson Van Dyke (approx. 10 miles away); Bell County (approx. 11 miles away); Little River Fort (approx. 11 miles away); Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway Planing Mill (approx. 11.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Temple.
 
Also see . . .  Texas Forestry Association. From the Texas State Historical Association’s “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on October 26, 2015.) 
 
Categories. EnvironmentHorticulture & Forestry
 
Plaque under the Texas Forestry Association Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 6, 2015
3. Plaque under the Texas Forestry Association Marker
Temple City Hall image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 6, 2015
4. Temple City Hall
View to west across N. Main St
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 176 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 26, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement