Near Sinclair in Carbon County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Local Cattle Industry
The Vivion sheep/cattle operation remains in family ownership and the Ft. Steele State Historic Site was donated to the State of Wyoming by Charles G. & Grace M. Vivion, principal owners of
The ranching industry still lives on in this area thanks to the hardy pioneers that settled in this harsh climate and roughed it out. Today you still see cattle, sheep, horses and the bison are now making a come back as well. You will even see some goats, lamas and emus on a smaller scale. Most of the ranches are still rather large due to the amount of ground that it takes to adequately graze the livestock. The area's wildlife still roam free and is often mixed in with the livestock.
Erected by Wyoming Recreation Commission.
Location. 41° 46.564′ N, 106° 56.794′ W. Marker is near Sinclair, Wyoming, in Carbon County. Marker is on County Route 347 near Interstate 80, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sinclair WY 82334, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sheepherder's Community (here, next to this marker); Sheep Industry (here, next to this marker); Sheep Ranching Bridge Tender's House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Railroad and River (about 400 feet away); Brownsville and Benton (about 400 feet away); Carbon Timber Company (about 400 feet away); A Well Traveled Sawmill (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sinclair.
More about this marker. This marker, among a grouping of a four markers, is located at Fort Fred Steele State Historic Site. The markers are on County Road 347, north of the Interstate 80 Exit 228 and south of the railroad tracks.
Also see . . . The Wyoming Cattle Boom, 1868-1886 - Wyoming Historical Society. It’s been often said that Wyoming’s cattle industry started by accident. That’s a bit of stretch, actually. As the tale goes, Seth Ward, a sutler to Fort Laramie, left cattle out to graze the open range in the winter of 1852-53 along Chugwater Creek north of what is now Cheyenne. He expected to find carcasses in the spring. Yet when he returned he found “the oxen,” as he called them, thriving. (Submitted on October 26, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 26, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.