Midway in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Midway Congregational Church
of an English Colony which came first
to Massachusetts 1630
to Connecticut 1635
to South Carolina 1695
and to Georgia 1752
Built on the same spot as the church
which was burned by the British in 1778
This Church has given to her Country
Eighty-six Ministers of the Gospel
and seven Foreign Missionaries
Midway, in St. John's Parish,
now Liberty County, was the cradle
of Revolutionary spirit in Georgia
and two of her sons were signers
of the Declaration of Independence
the Brunswick Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution
of the Midway Colony
Erected 1928 by Brunswich Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution and descendants of the Midway Colony.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 31° 48.4′ N, 81° 25.803′ W. Marker is in Midway, Georgia, in Liberty County. Marker is on North Coastal Hwy (U.S. 17) near Martin Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Midway GA 31320, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. In Memory of Button Gwinnett and Dr. Lyman Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Midway Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rev. Mr. John Osgood (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Midway Cemetery (about 400 feet away); Brigadier General James Screven (about 400 feet away); Midway Church (about 400 feet away); Dr. Lyman Hall (about 400 feet away); Kilpatrick and Mower at Midway Church (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Midway.
Also see . . . Midway, Georgia - Attractions. The present building (which still stands) was completed in 1792. The religious welfare of the slaves was given high consideration (Submitted on July 9, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Landmarks • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 912 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 8, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4, 5. submitted on July 9, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.