Crescent Street Factories, Mazomanie Blacksmiths, Coal Buildings
Crescent Street Factories
Crescent Street, located just beyond the buildings to the north, was the principal industrial street in the village during the 1800s. In addition to a cheese factory and creamery, a number of other factories produced wood and iron products.
C.J. Trager operated a carriage and sleigh factory in the 1873 two-story brick and stone building which still stands at 38 Crescent Street. Further east, across the street, was Gramm's carpenter shop and a woodworking plant operated by Warren & Moulton. In 1867 George Davies opened a shop to make fanning mills. Later George and his brother, Nathaniel, set up a foundry to manufacture metal castings and drill presses of their own design. The Mazomanie Cabinet Manufacturing Company was established in 1894 by Albert Tinker and Charles Schlough. Tinker patented a line of kitchen cabinets which they produced and sold throughout the area.
Among other products made from wood, the Starck Manufacturing Company developed and manufactured a billiard-like game built inside a parlor table. Later a poultry business was established and remained in operation until the Mazomanie Egg Company moved to Middleton in 1957. The Village of Mazomanie now uses this area for municipal operations.
John Parman and Asa Preston, two prominent blacksmiths
John Warren built a small blacksmith shop next to the Parman shop in 1863. Asa Preston bought out Warren and operated the shop until he died in 1892. During this time, John F. Appleby, the inventor of the twine grain binder, began his experiments with binding devices while working in Preston's shop. After Appleby had attained success with his twine binder in Beloit, he employed Asa's son, David, to help him set up licensees of his patents in Wisconsin and Minnesota. David and his brother John operated in the Preston shop until John died in 1904. The building sat idle until 1930 when the property was sold to house a coal and wood business.
Along most railroad corridors, buildings were located next to side tracks where freight and coal cars could directly unload their contents. The height of the floor was on the same level as the floor of the freight car so that goods could be moved easily from one to the other. Some buildings were constructed with two levels
[Photo captions, from top, read]
Mazomanie Cabinet Factory - about 1895
John Parman Blacksmith Shop - about 1870
Asa Preston Blacksmith Shop - about 1876
Freight and Coal Buildings
1915 - 1929
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Location. 43° 10.528′ N, 89° 47.533′ W. Marker is in Mazomanie, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Touch for map. Marker kiosk is in the city park reclaimed from the former railroad yard, north of the existing railroad grade, south of Crescent Street, and immediately west of the city offices at 133 Crescent Street. Marker is in this post office area: Mazomanie WI 53560, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Turntable, The Engine House, The Water Tower (here, next to this marker); Lynch and Walker Flouring Mill The Railroad in Mazomanie (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Train Wreck of 1906 (about 400 feet away); The Flag on the Bluff (about 400 feet away); Mazomanie (about 500 feet away); The Mazomanie Downtown Historic District (about 600 feet away); The Mazomanie Depot (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mazomanie.
Also see . . .
1. History for Village of Mazomanie WI. (Submitted on October 29, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railway Company Brief History. (Submitted on October 29, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Mazomanie Downtown National Register Historic District Info. (Submitted on October 29, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 168 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 29, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.