Green River in Sweetwater County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
The Paddlewheeler Comet - 1908
The flagship of the newly organized Green River Navigation Company, the Comet made its maiden voyage from Green River, Wyoming south to Linwood, Utah on July 4th, 1908. The purpose of the steamship was to carry freight and passengers to ranches along the Green River to Linwood at the confluence with Henry's Fork. The launching was the major event of the year combined with the Fourth of July celebration.
Built at a cost of $25,000, the Comet was not a success. The first trip to Linwood and back took 33 hours and was hampered by low water, swift currents, and rocks. After only a few trips, the Comet was abandoned in the river several hundred yards downriver from here.
Other boats which operated on the Green in that period included the power launch Teddy R which was used for pleasure excursions up and down the river and a stern wheeler, the Sunbeam which was used until it broke down upriver from here at Big Piney, Wyoming. Afterwards, the Sunbeam was hauled to Fremont Lake and used as a pleasure boat for many years.
Erected by Green River Greenbelt and City of Green River.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 398 South 2nd East Street, Green River WY 82935, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sunbeam - 1908 (a few steps from this marker); Powell - Colorado River Expedition 1869 (a few steps from this marker); George Flavell (within shouting distance of this marker); Nathaniel Galloway - 1890's (within shouting distance of this marker); Julius Stone (within shouting distance of this marker); Kolb Brothers (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Damsite Surveys (about 300 feet away); John Wesley Powell, 1871 (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Green River.
More about this marker. This marker is located next to the perimeter walking path in Island Park. Island Park occupies the northwestern end of Expedition Island and is across the bridge at the south end of South 2nd East Street.
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 2, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 2, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.