Fort Myers in Lee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Edison Caretakerís House
Some of the Seminole Lodge Staff
Mr. & Mrs. Black
Michael & Tina Doyle
Edgar & Mrs. Smith
B.E. & Mrs. Tinstman
A section of this building was on the grounds when Edison purchased the property in 1885 from cattleman Samuel Summerlin. In developing plans for the Estates, Edison decided to keep the house and to “repair it and use it for the employees.” His improvements to Seminole Lodge in 1903 included the addition of a room, porches and bathroom to the “Summerlin House.” The L-Addition created an apartment for driver Sidney Scarth and family. A tow-bay car garage and tool bay were completed and in use by 1929.
Edison relied on local help, as well as staff sent from his main home in West Orange, New Jersey, to maintain the Estates. Staff was an integral part of the property, corresponding frequently with Mr. and Mrs. Edison about actives in Fort Myers. Staff positions included general agents, caretakers, gardeners, cooks and drivers.
Location. 26° Touch for map. The marker is inside the Edison & Ford Winter Estates. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2350 McGregor Blvd, Fort Myers FL 33901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Inside the Ford Home (here, next to this marker); Edisonís “Florida Paradise” (here, next to this marker); Clara Fordís Michigan Rose Garden (here, next to this marker); Orchid Lane and Friendship Walk (here, next to this marker); Edison Estate Restoration and Rebirth (here, next to this marker); Edison Family Home Seminole Lodge (here, next to this marker); Henry Ford (here, next to this marker); Henry Ford's Florida Estate (here, next to this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Myers.
Also see . . . Edison & Ford Winter Estates. (Submitted on November 6, 2015.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 4, 2015, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 151 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 4, 2015, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.