Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lake George in Warren County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

A Common Stone

 
 
A Common Stone Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 10, 2008
1. A Common Stone Marker
Inscription. In memory of common men, this stone, taken from the banks of the Mohawk, was erected as a memorial to those Mohawk Valley men under Wm. Johnson who helped build Fort William Henry in the year 1755.

A gift of the people of the Mohawk Valley
1958

 
Erected 1958 by People of the Mohawk Valley.
 
Location. 43° 25.201′ N, 73° 42.726′ W. Marker is in Lake George, New York, in Warren County. Marker can be reached from Canada Street (U.S. 9), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located near the entrance to Fort William Henry. Marker is in this post office area: Lake George NY 12845, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Royal Sussex Regiment Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Southwest Bastion (within shouting distance of this marker); Southeast Bastion (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Northwest Bastion (about 400 feet away); Northeast Bastion (about 500 feet away); Lake George Steamboat Company (about 800 feet away); Lake George (approx. 0.2 miles away); Warship Row (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake George.
 
Also see . . .
Marker in Lake George image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 10, 2008
2. Marker in Lake George
The reconstructed Fort William Henry can be seen behind the marker in the left of the photo.

1. Fort William Henry. (Submitted on July 10, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Fort William Henry "Massacre," August 1757. (Submitted on July 10, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWar, French and Indian
 
Fort William Henry image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 10, 2008
3. Fort William Henry
Fort William Henry was built at the southern end of Lake George in 1755 by Major-General William Johnson and a group of colonial volunteers. It was designed to defend the colony of New York and serve as a launching point for military operations against the French, who had their own fort about 40 miles to the north.
Southeast Bastion of Fort William Henry image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 10, 2008
4. Southeast Bastion of Fort William Henry
The French and their Indian allies defeated the British at Fort William Henry on August 9, 1757. Despite surrendering, some of the British were attacked and killed by the Mohawks in what some call the "Fort William Henry Massacre".
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 10, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,340 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 10, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement