Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Volcano in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Moose Milk

 
 
Moose Milk Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 28, 2008
1. Moose Milk Marker
The date on the rededication plaque just below the main plaque is, May 15, 5989 - the Clamper year date for May 15, 1984.
Inscription. This plaque is in memory of the pioneers of California who assembled in Volcano where Moose Milk was originated.

Dedicated this 13th day of January, 1951 by E Clampus Vitus.

[A rededication marker, just below the main one, reads]:
Rededicated May 15, 5989
Our Year
Chapter 49
E Clampus Vitus

[The Clamper year 5989 equates to 1984]
 
Erected 1951 by E Clampus Vitus.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 38° 26.503′ N, 120° 37.846′ W. Marker is in Volcano, California, in Amador County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Main Street and St. George Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 16104 Main Street, Volcano CA 95689, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. George Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); General Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Carlo Andrea Dondero (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldier Gulch (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Volcano
The Whiskey Flat Saloon image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 28, 2008
2. The Whiskey Flat Saloon
Directly next to the St. George Hotel, with a door connecting the two on the inside. The saloon was added on to the hotel in the 1930's.
(about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Volcano (about 400 feet away); Astronomical Observatory (about 400 feet away); Volcano Masonic Cave (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Volcano.
 
More about this marker. Marker is to the right of the front door of the Whiskey Flat Saloon (adjacent to and to the left of the St. George Hotel), just above the ashtray.
 
Regarding Moose Milk. Moose Milk, as served in this saloon, consisted of a generous shot of bourbon, an equal measure of half-and-half cream, and some rum. Served over ice, and topped with nutmeg, it may be an acquired taste. It did seem to have the property of improving in flavor, the more that was drunk.
 
Also see . . .  The St. George Hotel's Website. On the hotel's website is a brief history of the hotel, as well as other information about the hotel and saloon. (Submitted on July 11, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. Hidden Marker
If I'm not mistaken that hidden marker
Bonus Historical Marker! image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 28, 2008
3. Bonus Historical Marker!
This historical marker hangs above the bar inside the saloon. The text reads:
Botilleas Bordellos
Worlds oldest profession flourished 50 yds. east of this plaque for many years until this most perfect example of free enterprise was padlocked by unsympathetic politicians.
E.R.E.C.T.I.O.N.S. 1968
The bartender was of the opinion that this was probably a copy of a Clamper marker. Note that "Botilleas" was the prior name of the town of Jackson (~10 miles away) during the early part of the Gold Rush, so it is conceivable this plaque, or its twin, was hung in Jackson at some point.
used to hang in the National Hotel and referred to where the police station now stands.
Editor's Note: We have reports of a marker in the hotel, but as yet no confirmation whether it was this marker or a similar one.
    — Submitted January 23, 2009.

 
Additional keywords. Drinks, Beverages, Booze
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
The St. George Hotel image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 28, 2008
4. The St. George Hotel
Built in 1862, 3 stories, constructed of 14-inch brick to make it more fireproof than its two predecessors, the Eureka (1851), and the Empire (1859), which unfortunately had not been quite so fireproof. B.F. George constructed the hotel, and named it the 'St. George' to thwart the 'demonic fire dragon', it is said. In addition to the saloon, the hotel has 12 rooms with shared baths, a restaurant, and an outdoor patio and gardens.
St. George Hotel National Register of Historic Places Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 28, 2008
5. St. George Hotel National Register of Historic Places Marker
The St. George Hotel is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 3,241 times since then and 116 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 11, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement