Varina in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
One Last Advance
Battle of Darbytown (New Market) Road
—Siege of Petersburg & Richmond 1864-1965 —
For almost ten months beginning in mid-June 1864, the Army of the Potomac besieged the cities of Petersburg and Richmond from the east and south. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant ordered the Union fortifications extended west Petersburg and launched frequent attacks there and near Richmond, forcing Confederate Gen. Robert E Lee to stretch his thin defensive lines and move his outnumbered troops to counter the attacks. On April 3, 1865, Lee evacuated his army west after the Federal breakthrough at Petersburg, and the Union army occupied both cities.
The last advance by the Army of Northern Virginia north of the James River took place directly across New Market Road in October 1864, on orders of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. Gen. Charles W. Field's division, with Gen. Robert F. Hoke's division in support, was to overwhelm Union Gen. August V. Kautz's cavalry division on Darbytown Road and then turn south to recapture Fort Harrison, which the Federals had occupied on September 29.
The battle began successfully at dawn on October 7 as the combined Confederate assault overpowered the Union cavalry stationed on Darbytown Road. Two hours elapsed before the attack could continue, however, giving Union Gen. Alfred H. Terry time to redeploy his division to face the Confederate attack in
The Union victory at the Battle of Darbytown Road can be attributed in part to advanced weapons technology. Most of Gen. Joseph C. Abbott's infantry regiments in Terry's division were equipped with Spencer rifles—a magazine-fed, lever-action weapon utilizing metal cartridges. The rifles had a firing rate of one shot every three seconds, far faster than the single-shot rifles that most Confederates carried. James Spencer designed the rifle in 1860, but the U.S. Army did not begin introducing them until 1863; carbines came later. Capt. Albert Maxfield, 11th Maine Infantry, wrote that it seemed as if the Spencer rifles fired “seven volleys in one. … The rebels stopped broke and fell back to
Gen. Alfred H. Terry Courtesy Library of Congress
Gen. John Gregg Courtesy Library of Congress
Federals near New Market Road repulse Confederate infantry during the Battle of Darbytown Road Courtesy Library of Congress
Unidentified Union soldiers holding Spencer carbines Courtesy Library of Congress
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 37° 26.65′ N, 77° 21.1′ W. Marker is in Varina, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker is at the intersection of New Market Road (Virginia Route 5) and Strath Road, on the right when traveling east on New Market Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2651 New Market Rd, Henrico VA 23231, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Henrico Parish Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Frayser Family (approx. 0.4 miles away); Four Mile Creek Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Successful Colonial Tobacco Crop Fort Harrison (approx. 1.3 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Harrison (approx. 1.3 miles away); Pocahontas (approx. 1.4 miles away); Henrico History (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Varina.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 16, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 209 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 16, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 2, 3. submitted on November 16, 2015. 4. submitted on November 16, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 5, 6. submitted on November 16, 2015.