Near Junction in Kimble County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Campsite of Marques de Rubi, 1767
Rubi arrived in Mexico in February 1766, and was joined by Nicolas de Lafora, engineer and mapmaker. They made a tour of the Northwest and California territory and entered Texas on July 17, 1767. Rubi chose this location for his campsite July 23, 1767.
His report suggested small Texas missions be closed. This was done in 1772. Only Goliad and San Antonio remained.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Commitee. (Marker Number 1188.)
Location. 30° 31.274′ N, 99° 49.39′ W. Marker is near Junction, Texas, in Kimble County. Marker is on Ranch to Market Road 1674 1.2 miles west of County Route 271, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Junction TX 76849, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Bear Creek Texas Ranger Camp (here, next to this marker); Isaac Kountz (approx. 3.6 miles away); Vicinity of Bradbury Settlement (approx. 3.7 miles away); Major William Addison Spencer John Sterling Durst (approx. 4.1 miles away); Coke R. Stevenson (approx. 4.1 miles away); Colonel John Griffith (approx. 4.1 miles away); Burt M. Fleming Memorial (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Junction.
Categories. • Exploration • Hispanic Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 149 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 21, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.