Riceboro in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Riceborough was for many years an important port for the shipping of rice and other agricultural products from this area.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 089-13.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 44.709′ N, 81° 26.394′ W. Marker is in Riceboro, Georgia, in Liberty County. Marker is at the intersection of Ocean Highway (U.S. 17) and Walthorville-Riceboro Road (State Highway 119), on the right when traveling north on Ocean Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Riceboro GA 31323, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First African Baptist Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Lambert Plantation Old Post Road (approx. 1.7 miles away); General James Screven (approx. 2.9 miles away); LeConte Botanical Gardens (approx. 3.3 miles away); Sunbury and Fort Morris (approx. 3.8 miles away); Simon Munro (approx. 3.9 miles away); Woodmanston Plantation (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Riceboro.
Also see . . . City of Riceboro - Liberty County. Liberty County was created in 1777 from the colonial parishes of St. Andrews, St. James, and St. John. The land that made up these parishes was originally held by the Creek Indians. The county's name honors Lyman Hall and Button Gwinnett of Midway, who were Georgia's first delegates to the Continental Congress and signers of the Declaration of Independence. (Submitted on July 12, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,027 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 12, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.