Capt. Phillips’ Rangers Memorial
Upright Bronze Plaque
The following scouts under Capt. Phillips were massacred here by the Indians July 16, 1780.
M. Davis, T. Gaitrell, D. Kelley, G. Morris, P. Sanders, T. Sanders, A. Shelly, R. Shirley, H. Skelly, P. Skelly.
Erected 1926 by the Fisher Summit Memorial Association, S. B. Stoler, Pres. Refurbished by VFW Post 4129 and American Legion Post 169 October 1999.
Flat Bronze Plaque
We rest having died in line of duty on July 16, 1780. Reburied by American Legion Saxton Post No. 169 May 28, 1933. Kryptaloy Vault and bronze tablet presented by R.E. Huff-Saxton, PA.
Location. 40° 15.593′ N, 78° 15.973′ W. Marker is in Saxton, Pennsylvania, in Bedford County. Marker is on Capt. Phillips Memorial Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saxton PA 16678, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Capt. Phillips' Rangers Memorial (here, next to this marker); Phillips' Rangers (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Yellow Corner
Categories. • Native Americans • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 201 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 29, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.