Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tupelo in Lee County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Younger Cabin / Confederate Headquarters

 
 
The Younger Cabin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon Fletcher, November 27, 2015
1. The Younger Cabin Marker
Inscription.
Side 1
At the onset of the Civil War, there were a few homes located in Tupelo near the intersection of the recently completed Mobile and Ohio Railroad and the Pontotoc-to-Fulton Road, now Main Street. One of those homes was the residence of the John W. Younger family located on this site in a grove of oak and hickory trees. It was common practice for high ranking officers to requisition comfortable quarters in private homes during the war. The Younger Cabin was requisitioned many times, as it was ideally located in relation to the numerous camps scattered around Tupelo. The cabin's central location provided a commanding officer good communications with his subordinates and allowed oversight of troops, supplies and military equipment stationed near the railroad.

Side 2
In the summer of 1862, after the battle of Shiloh and siege of Corinth, the Confederate army withdrew to Tupelo. During that occupation, the Younger Cabin was used as the headquarters for the Confederate Army of the Mississippi. The first commanding general to occupy the house was PG.T. Beauregard in 1862. Later that summer, when General Beauregard became ill and left Tupelo to recover in Mobile, General Braxton Bragg was left in command. Bragg moved his troops to Chattanooga late that same summer, and General Sterling Price assumed
The Younger Cabin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon Fletcher, November 27, 2015
2. The Younger Cabin Marker
control. In the winter of 1864-65, General John Bell Hood retreated to Tupelo after his disastrous defeat at the battles of Franklin and Nashville, Tennessee. He, too, used this site as his headquarters.
 
Erected 2013 by Tupelo Civil War Trail.
 
Location. 34° 15.531′ N, 88° 42.329′ W. Marker is in Tupelo, Mississippi, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection of North Broadway Street and West Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling south on North Broadway Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 261 North Broadway Street, Tupelo MS 38804, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tupelo Confederate Soldiers Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Tupelo Hardware (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sit-Ins Led to Civil Rights Act of 1964 / F.W. Woolworth (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tupelo Baptist Church / Kind Treatment for the Wounded (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Iron Furnace / Front Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); In Commemoration of Hernando De Soto (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Dixie Bell Theater / The March of Discontent (approx. 0.2 miles away); Elvis Presley and Tupelo (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tupelo.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 181 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 2, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of reverse side of marker. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement