Clendenin in Kanawha County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Col. George Clendenin / Town of Clendenin
Town of Clendenin. Area at confluence of Elk and Big Sandy rivers settled late 1700s; town laid out 1877 by W. Chilton; Incorp. May 1904; L. V. Koontz first mayor. Main industries: timber, coal, oil, gas, and railroad, after 1893. South, at Falling Rock Creek, was first refinery to process coal into cannel oil. Carbide & Carbon Chem. Corp., later Union Carbide, built first plant here in 1920s
Location. 38° 29.233′ N, 81° 21.133′ W. Marker is in Clendenin, West Virginia, in Kanawha County. Marker is at the intersection of French St. and Virginia Ave., on the right when traveling south on French St.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clendenin WV 25045, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Petrochemical Plant (approx. 0.2 miles away); Captain John Young/John Young Early Settler (approx. 4.3 miles away); Simon Kenton (approx. 11.3 miles away); Ruffner Well (approx. 16.9 miles away).
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2015, by Jonathan Cleghorn of Clendenin, West Virginia. This page has been viewed 161 times since then and 18 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on December 3, 2015, by Jonathan Cleghorn of Clendenin, West Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the other side of this marker • Wide photo showing marker and its environment • Can you help?