Near Lovell in Big Horn County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
The Original Dayton-Kane Highway
—(A National Scenic Byway) —
First access up the east side of the Big Horns were trails used to haul mining equipment from the railhead at Gillette to the Fortunatus gold mine, near Bald Mountain in the 1890s. The route was eventually abandoned because of its steep grades and sharp curves.
In 1912, construction began along an improved route on the Dayton side. About that same time, settlers in the Big Horn Basin carved out the beginnings of the first road on the west side to get salt to summer pastures, hence the road was known as the "Salt" road. The original was described as a wagon track of "extreme steepness and sharp turns."
In 1922, preliminary plans were made to build 148 miles of road from Sheridan to Greybull vial Bald Mountain, then to Lovell and Greybull.
Construction began on the east side and progressed westerly from Dayton, and 4.6 miles was completed in November 1924. A series of construction projects ensued until the road was mostly completed in the mid-1930s with a width from 10 to 24 feet, depending on topography.
Much of the road was privately financed. Funding and labor
Erected by Wyoming Transportation Department, Mary Alice Fortin Foundation of Florida and Big Horn Mountain Medicine Wheel Association.
Location. 44° 47.871′ N, 107° 59.253′ W. Marker is near Lovell, Wyoming, in Big Horn County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 14A and Old U.S. Highway 14A, on the left when traveling east on U.S. 14A. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lovell WY 82431, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Reconstruction - Finally! (approx. one mile away); Big Horn Basin (approx. 2.8 miles away); Bighorn Basin (approx. 2.8 miles away); Mystery Shrouds the Medicine Wheel (approx. 3.8 miles away); Five Springs (approx. 4 miles away); Medicine Wheel (approx. 4.6 miles away); a different marker also named Medicine Wheel (approx. 4.6 miles away); a different marker also named Medicine Wheel (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lovell.
More about this marker. This marker is located at the turn-off for the Five Springs Campground.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 301 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 5, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.