Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Goodman Home, 1857
Begun by Gallatin Smith, as "Bonnie Castle." Bought, 1866, by Dr. S.A. Goodman. Enlarged by his son, Major W.J. Goodman, surgeon in 13th Texas Infantry, C.S.A.
Remodeled in 1920's by Mrs. Sallie Goodman LeGrand, the Major's last survivor. Willed to city of Tyler, 1939.
Smith County Historical Society Museum housed here since 1960. Restored 1964 by Junior League of Tyler.
Erected 1964 by The State of Texas. (Marker Number 7730.)
Location. 32° 21.4′ N, 95° 18.083′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker can be reached from North Broadway Avenue south of West Bow Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is mounted on the wall next to the front entry to this home, which is situated in Goodman Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 624 N Broadway Ave, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonel Bryan Marsh / Texas Civil War Manufacturing (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tyler Tap Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); Yarbrough Building First Baptist Church of Tyler (approx. 0.3 miles away); Smith County as a 19th Century Legal Center (approx. 0.4 miles away); City of Tyler (approx. 0.4 miles away); Smith County C.S.A. / Tyler-Smith County C.S.A. Men and Units (approx. 0.4 miles away); The First County Agricultural Extension Agent (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
More about this marker. This is a 1964 marker and the facility is now operated as a home museum by the City of Tyler, Texas. The Smith County Historical Society Museum is now located at the 1904 Carnegie Library building at 125 S. College Avenue in Tyler.
Also see . . . Goodman Museum. (Submitted on December 9, 2015.)
Categories. • Architecture • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 155 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 8, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. 4. submitted on December 15, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.