Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old Cherry Spring School

Das Alte Schulhaus

 
 
Old Cherry Spring School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 9, 2015
1. Old Cherry Spring School Marker
Inscription. The Cherry Spring community was founded by German immigrants about 1850. Classes for schoolchildren were held in private homes. In 1859 German nobleman Wilhelm Marschall von Bieberstein deeded ten acres of land to L. Schneider, H. Bradhering, W. Kothe, C. Ahrens, C. Kothe, and F. Doering for construction of a schoolhouse. Classes were held n the original part of this building from 1860 through 1878. The schoolhouse was later used for church services and was the site of the formal organization of Christ Lutheran Church in 1905.
 
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10016.)
 
Location. 30° 28.943′ N, 98° 58.819′ W. Marker is near Fredericksburg, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker is at the intersection of Cherry Spring Road and Wasserfall Road, on the right when traveling north on Cherry Spring Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. ľ mile away); Diedrich Rode Complex (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Marschall - Meusebach Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away);
Old Cherry Spring School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 9, 2015
2. Old Cherry Spring School Marker
The schoolhouse is behind the marker
John O. Meusebach (approx. 1.7 miles away); Cherry Spring Schoolhouse (approx. 2.4 miles away); Herman and Willie Lehmann (approx. 6.6 miles away); Homesite of John O. Meusebach, 1812-1897 (approx. 7.3 miles away); Lange's Mill (approx. 8.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
 
More about this marker. The English translation of Das Alte Schulhaus is The Old Schoolhouse.
 
Also see . . .  Cherry Spring, TX. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on December 16, 2015.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.EducationSettlements & Settlers
 
Marker at Intersection of Cherry Spring Rd and Wasserfall Rd image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 9, 2015
3. Marker at Intersection of Cherry Spring Rd and Wasserfall Rd
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 173 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 16, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement