Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The house was purchased in 1817 by the Methodist Movement in Savannah as its first parsonage. The Reverend James Russell, first occupant of the parsonage was responsible for the construction of Wesley Chapel, which stood just south of this property until its removal in 1954. Bishop Francis Asbury was a guest in this house in November, 1813. It now serves as a Presbyterian Manse.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
Location. 32° 4.599′ N, 81° 5.346′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Lincoln Street near East York Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1812 Wesley Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Conrad Aiken Richardson-Owens-Thomas House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Owens-Thomas House (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Owens-Thomas House (about 300 feet away); Police Officers Monument (about 300 feet away); Colonial Town Gate (about 400 feet away); Police Station Steps (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Also see . . .
1. The Georgia Frontier By Jeannette Holland Austin...Page 26. Col. John Barnard (Submitted on July 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Wikipedia entry for Bishop Francis Asbury. Francis Asbury (August 20, 1745 – March 31, 1816) was one of the first two bishops of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the United States. (Submitted on July 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Barnard House.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,808 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2. submitted on July 15, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.