Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Shiloh Baptist Church
Alexandria, occupied by Union troops during the Civil War, became a refuge for African Americans escaping slavery. Before the war ended, about 50 former slaves founded the Shiloh Society, later known as Shiloh Baptist Church. Members held services in U.S. government buildings until Sept. 1865, when their new frame church on West Street was dedicated. The congregation flourished under the leadership of the Rev. Leland Warring, pastor for more than 20 years. The brick Gothic Revival sanctuary was completed here in 1895. Prominent visitors have included Rep. John Mercer Langston, Dr. Dorothy Height, and Pres. George W. Bush.
Erected 2015 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number E-136.)
Location. 38° 48.23′ N, 77° 3.312′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Duke Street (Virginia Route 236) and South West Street, on the right when traveling west on Duke Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1401 Duke Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1323 Duke Street – From Slavery to Freedom and Service (a few steps from this marker); Franklin and Armfield Slave Office L'Overture Hospital HQ (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); L’Ouverture Hospital (about 500 feet away); The Duke Street Tanyard (approx. 0.2 miles away); Capt. James McGuire House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The West End (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hooff's Run Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
Also see . . . Shiloh Baptist Church. (Submitted on December 18, 2015.)
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Notable Persons • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2015, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 375 times since then and 53 times this year. Last updated on December 18, 2015, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on December 17, 2015, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 2. submitted on December 18, 2015, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.