Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Batteries E & G First U.S. Artillery

Cavalry Corps

 

—Army of the Potomac —

 
Batteries E & G First U.S. Artillery Tablet image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, April 12, 2008
1. Batteries E & G First U.S. Artillery Tablet
Like many of the tablets for the U.S. Regulars, the seal of the United States appears on the disk above the inscription.
Inscription.
Army of the Potomac
Cavalry Corps
Batteries E & G First U.S. Artillery

Four 12 pounders
Captain Alanson M. Randol Commanding


July 1 & 2 With First Brigade Second Cavalry Division. Not engaged.

July 3 One section under Lieut. James Chester was ordered to Second Brigade Third Cavalry Division and took position west of the Low Dutch Road and with Brig. Gen. Custer's Second Brigade Third Division Cavalry Corps was hotly engaged in repelling the attack of Major General Stuart's Confederate Cavalry Division. The one section under Lieut. Ernest L. Kinney remained near the Hanover Road.
 
Erected 1907 by Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
 
Location. 39° 49.285′ N, 77° 9.884′ W. Marker is near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on East Cavalry Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located in the East Cavalry Battlefield section of the Gettysburg National Military Park. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Second Brigade (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Batteries E & G First U.S. Artillery
Batteries E & G First U.S. Artillery Tablet image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, April 12, 2008
2. Batteries E & G First U.S. Artillery Tablet
(approx. ¼ mile away); 1st Regiment Maryland Cavalry (approx. ¼ mile away); First Brigade (approx. 0.3 miles away); Battery M, Second U.S. Artillery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Second Division (approx. 0.3 miles away); Michigan Cavalry Brigade (approx. 0.3 miles away); Third Brigade (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
 
More about this marker. This tablet is duplicated nearby word for word. This tablet indicates the location of Chester's section. The other marks Kinney's location.

The tablet lists the armament of the battery as four 12-pounder "Napoleon" field guns. However other sources indicate the battery used four 3-inch Ordnance Rifled guns.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Artillery Location image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, April 12, 2008
3. Artillery Location
Cannon representing Chester's section have been removed, presumably for maintenance. The concrete blocks at the bottom of the photo are the tale-tell signs of the missing display.
Jacob Lott's Farm image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, April 12, 2008
4. Jacob Lott's Farm
The Lott farm stood almost in the middle of the swirling cavalry battle on July 3, 1863. Chester's section deployed just south of the farm, near where the present day East Cavalry Avenue turns south.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,011 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 15, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3, 4. submitted on July 16, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement