Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Bohemia in Prince George County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

New Bohemia, VA

Sacred Heart Parish

 
 
New Bohemia, VA Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, December 20, 2015
1. New Bohemia, VA Marker
Inscription. Beginning in the late 1880's, this region of Prince George County along the Norfolk & Western Railway became the center of the first largest settlement of Czech and Slovak immigrants in Virginia. Originally known as Wells Station, then Estes, it was renamed New Bohemia in 1911 at the request of those settlers. Forming a community of homes, general stores, a church, hotel, school and neighborhood meeting hall, this small group of agrarian immigrants reclaimed and restored 12,000 acres of farmland left barren following the Civil War. In the 21st Century, many of the original family farms nearby continue to contribute to local growth and economy.

On the adjacent 12 acre site, deeded to the Diocese of Richmond by Marie O. Hanzlik, 29 Czech families (which included Josef Machat, Sr., leading Czech settler in Virginia) established the first Czech Catholic Parish in the Commonwealth. The initial church building was dedicated in 1906, followed by the erection of the Parish Hall and dedication of the Parish Cemetery in 1908. The parish remains active and vibrant, and together with the surrounding areas, bears witness to the acculturation of the Czech-Slovak immigrants into American society. This site is listed on the Virginia and National Register of Historical Places, February 8, 2012.
 
Location.
Church of the Sacred Heart image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, December 20, 2015
2. Church of the Sacred Heart
37° 11.233′ N, 77° 19.433′ W. Marker is in New Bohemia, Virginia, in Prince George County. Marker is on Community Lane south of County Drive (U.S. 460), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9300 Community Ln, Petersburg VA 23805, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Davis (approx. 2.8 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Davis (approx. 2.9 miles away); History at Prince George Courthouse (approx. 3 miles away); Confederate Soldiers of Prince George Co. (approx. 3 miles away); Prince George Court House (approx. 3.1 miles away); a different marker also named Prince George Court House (approx. 3.1 miles away); Fort Hays (approx. 3.3 miles away); Waiting Their Turn (approx. 3.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Church of the Sacred Heart. (Submitted on December 21, 2015.)
 
Categories. AgricultureChurches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 21, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 210 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 21, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement