Coltons Point in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Clement's Island Lighthouse
“None of the Lighthouses ... are Safe”
"And I am of the opinion that, while there are so many 'rebel sympathizers' in Maryland and the Eastern Shore of Virginia, none of the lighthouses there located are safe without a guard on shore to protect them." Cmdr. Foxhall A. Parker, U. S. S. King Philip St. Mary's, Maryland, May 21, 1864
Caption of photo in middle of marker
Blackistone Lighthouse, St. Clements Island, ca 1920
Text of inset on right side of marker
Although omnipresent Union gunboats patrolled the Potomac River and a Federal supply depot located just north of St. Clements
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 13.477′ N, 76° 45.029′ W. Marker is in Coltons Point, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker is on Point Breeze Road 0.2 miles east of Colton Point Road (Route 242), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coltons Point MD 20626, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saint Clement’s Island (here, next to this marker); Mother of Light Shrine (a few steps from this marker); St. Clements Manor (a few steps from this marker); Potomac River Dory Boat (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to St. Clement's Island (approx. 0.8 miles away); Maryland Began Here! (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Shrinking Island (approx. 1.2 miles away); St. Clement's Island (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coltons Point.
Categories. • Notable Places • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,212 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 22, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 2. submitted on September 4, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 3. submitted on March 7, 2009, by Jason Rearick of Lexington Park, Maryland.