Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Troup in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

John Franklin Overton

(May 24, 1816 - July 29, 1879)

 
 
John Franklin Overton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, January 2, 2016
1. John Franklin Overton Marker
Inscription. Born in Maury County, Tenn., came to Texas in 1845 with his wife, Jane Jameson Overton, and mother, Susan Alexander Overton. He received land grants totaling 1600 acres. His wife died in 1849, and he married Mary D. Walker in 1852. They had 11 children. During the Civil War he sold supplies to the Confederacy and was addressed as "Colonel". In 1871, he donated land to the International Railroad Company, and the town of Overton (8 miles NE) was named in his honor.
 
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7748.)
 
Location. 32° 13.15′ N, 95° 5.781′ W. Marker is in Troup, Texas, in Smith County. Marker can be reached from Farm to Market Road 345 half a mile east of County Route 230. Touch for map. The marker is located in the Elkins Cemetery, which is mile north of FM 345. Marker is in this post office area: Troup TX 75789, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Omen (Canton) Community (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Baptist Church of Whitehouse (approx. 6.9 miles away); James Calhoun Hill (approx. 9.3 miles away); The Joiner No. 3 Daisy Bradford
Elkins Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, January 2, 2016
2. Elkins Cemetery
(approx. 10 miles away); Headache Springs, C.S.A. (approx. 11.9 miles away); Gaston Public School Complex (approx. 12.3 miles away); Colonel Richard B. Hubbard / Governor R. B. Hubbard (approx. 12 miles away); Thomas Glover Pollard, Sr. (approx. 13.2 miles away).
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 4, 2016, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 169 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 4, 2016, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement