Ciudad de Mexico, Distrito Federal, Mexico — The Central Highlands
La Capilla del Cerrito
1970 Año del Encuentro Guadalupano
In 1660 Cristóbal de Aguirre and Teresa Pelegrina ordered a small chapel to be built here to commemorate the three appearances of the Virgin Mary to Juan Diego. At the beginning of the 18th century Father José de Montufar built a larger chapel that included a spiritual retreat center and a small mortuary. The facade of this chapel, the Mariner's Sail and the primitive staircase to the east were designed by Architect Francisco Guerrero y Torres.
1970 The Year of Guadalupe
Location. 19° 29.164′ N, 99° 6.967′ W. Marker is in Ciudad de Mexico, Distrito Federal. Marker can be reached from Calzada de Guadalupe just from Zumarraga. Touch for map. The marker is to the left of the entrance
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Virgin of Guadalupe and Juan Diego (a few steps from this marker); José María Morelos y Pavón Stopped to Pray Here (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Banner of Atotonilco and the Parish of the Natives (about 120 meters away); The Parish of the Natives (about 120 meters away); Chapel of the Well (about 120 meters away); Francisco Primo de Verdad y Ramos (about 150 meters away); The Reign of Cuauhtemoctzin (approx. 4.4 kilometers away); Momoztli: a neighborhood altar (approx. 4.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ciudad de Mexico.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 11, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 315 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 11, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.