Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Pine Springs Baptist Church
Monthly worship services were conducted in the schoolhouse until a separate sanctuary was built at this site, north of the school, in the early 1890s. About the same time, the congregational name was changed to the Pine Springs Baptist Church.
The fellowship experienced steady growth during the pastorate of the Rev. Tully Choice, 1894-1897. The development of the area fruit growing and canning industry brought new members, and a Sunday School and bimonthly services were established. Regular weekly services began about 1935.
For over 100 years the Pine Springs Baptist Church has been active in the growth and development of the surrounding area. Members here have included early settlers, soldiers stationed at nearby Camp Fannin during World War II, several pioneers in the development of the area rose industry, and many prominent community leaders.
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7751.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2155 CR 334, Tyler TX 75708, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Camp Ford (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Camp Ford (approx. 0.9 miles away); Camp Ford Stockade (approx. 0.9 miles away); Cabin of Lt. Col. J.B. Leake (approx. one mile away); Camp Ford Confederate Guards (approx. one mile away); Camp Ford - Establishment of the Camp (approx. one mile away); African Americans at Camp Ford (approx. one mile away); Camp Ford - Early Days as a Prison Camp (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 18, 2016, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 117 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 18, 2016, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.