Winona in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Winona
In 1858 the church established a cemetery west of the church building, later used as a community graveyard. African Americans were members of this church until Emancipation, but buried their dead in a separate section of the cemetery.
A cyclone destroyed the sanctuary in 1878, but members rebuilt that year. In 1900 the church relocated to Winona, and in 1916 began holding services twice a month. A two-story brick church building was erected in 1927, and in 1929 the congregation changed its name to Winona Baptist Church. In 1941 the church voted to hold services full time, and in 1947 changed its name to the First Baptist Church of Winona. A centennial celebration was held in 1949. A larger facility was built in 1980, and additions were erected in 1987.
The congregation offers traditional programs to its members and continues to support a variety of community outreach activities.
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7726.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 212 Dallas Street, Winona TX 75792, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Kay House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Elisha Everett Lott (approx. 1.4 miles away); Scouts of Texas Army (approx. 3.3 miles away); Harris Creek Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away); Nicholas Wren 1807-1859 (approx. 3.3 miles away); Starrville Community (approx. 3.4 miles away); Starrville Community Center (approx. 4 miles away); Camp Fannin Internment Camp (approx. 4½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winona.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 18, 2016, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 201 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 18, 2016, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.