Port Royal, Kingston, Jamaica
was erected by the engineers
of H.M.S. "Aboukir"
Steam up April 20th 1865
J. Harwood Chief Engr
Pr Cracroft. C.B. Commodore
Location. 17° 56.147′ N, 76° 50.539′ W. Marker is in Port Royal, Kingston. Marker is on Norman Manley Highway, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is near an empty field just north of Fort Charles.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Charles (within shouting distance of this marker); The 1907 and 1957 Jamaica Earthquakes (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Horatio Nelson in Jamaica (about 90 meters away); St. Peter's Church (about 180 meters away); Lucas Barrett (about 210 meters away); The Historic Royal Naval Hospital (about 240 meters away); Welcome to Port Royal (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); 'Ye Olde Parade Bar' (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Royal.
Regarding H.M.S. "Aboukir". The HMS Aboukir was a 90-gun second-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy launched in 1848. She was refitted with screw propulsion in 1858 and was sold in 1877.
Categories. • Disasters • Forts, Castles • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 27, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 226 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 27, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.