Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stamford in Jones County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Swenson Land and Cattle Company Headquarters

 
 
Swenson Land and Cattle Company Headquarters Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, January 25, 2016
1. Swenson Land and Cattle Company Headquarters Marker


Inscription. Businessman Swen (Svante) Magnus Swenson (1816-1896), first Swedish settler in Texas, is closely associated with Sam Houston and his effort to keep Texas in the Union prior to the Civil War. In 1854 Swenson purchased large land tracts here which he greatly expanded by the mid-1880s with school tracts and railroad scrips.
         As a result of new state taxes on land Swenson leased his west Texas land to his sons Eric Pierson and Swen Albin in 1882. Eric and Swen formed the Swenson Brothers partnership and by 1885 their ranching operations consisted of 1800 Shorthorn and 180 Indiana pure crossbred Hereford-Shorthorn cows bearing a distinctive reversed (SMS) cattle brand still in use today.
         Initially comprised of the Flat Top, Ericksdahl, and Throckmorton Ranches, the Swenson Family holdings were expanded to include the Tongue River Ranch in 1900 and the Spur Ranch in 1906, making it one of the largest ranches in Texas with over 500,000 acres.
         Swenson Land & Cattle Co., incorporated in 1926, established its headquarters here in 1927. It is noted for its introduction of an innovative mail-order system for selling cattle, brush management programs, and integrated ranching operations. The ranch was divided into four separate family-owned corporations in 1978.
Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood   1845-1995
Marker in front of Swenson Land and Cattle Co. Building image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, January 25, 2016
2. Marker in front of Swenson Land and Cattle Co. Building

 
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5166.)
 
Location. 32° 56.711′ N, 99° 48.074′ W. Marker is in Stamford, Texas, in Jones County. Marker is at the intersection of E. McHarg Street and S. Weatherbee Street, on the right when traveling east on E. McHarg Street. Touch for map. Marker is mounted on the building at the southeast corner of intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Stamford TX 79553, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. John's Methodist (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stamford (approx. 0.6 miles away); First AQHA Show (approx. 0.9 miles away); "The Poet Ranchman" Larry Chittenden (approx. 1.1 miles away); Texas Cowboy Reunion Oldtimers' Association (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Mackenzie Trail (approx. 1.8 miles away); Arledge Field (approx. 4½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stamford.
 
Also see . . .
1. SMS Ranches. From the Texas State Historical Association's "Handbook of Texas Online". (Submitted on February 14, 2016.) 

2. SMS Ranch History. From the Swenson Land & Cattle Company website. (Submitted on February 14, 2016.)
Swenson Land and Cattle Co. Building image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, January 25, 2016
3. Swenson Land and Cattle Co. Building
 
 
Categories. AgricultureSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 14, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 276 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 14, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement