Pine Meadow in Litchfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
While farming was the main occupation, grist and saw mills soon thrived on the Windsor (now Farmington) and Nepash (or Nepaug) Rivers. In the early 1800’s, economic interest shifted from agricultural to industrial and population centers moved from the hilltops to the river valleys.
Major industries sprang up in New Hartford Centre (now Nepaug), Bakerville, Satan’s Kingdom, Kelloggsville (Pine Meadow), and North Village (now New Hartford Center).
The Greenwoods Company produced cotton duck for the United States military and for the sails of the Vigilant, defender in the America’s Cup races. Others included the Chapin-Stevens Company, which made planes, levels, and rules; and D. B. Smith Company. Two railroads had lines in town. In 1901 the Greenwoods Company cotton mills moved to the South. By the time of the Great Depression, most industries had collapsed and people moved elsewhere,
Erected 1977 by Town of New Hartford, the New Hartford Historical Society, Inc., and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 52.505′ N, 72° 58.053′ W. Marker is in Pine Meadow, Connecticut, in Litchfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 44) and Church Street, on the left when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 368 Main Street, Pine Meadow CT 06061, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Liberty Tree Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); New Hartford Remembers (approx. 0.7 miles away); New Hartford Soldiers Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Satan’s Kingdom First Meeting House (approx. 2.2 miles away); Barkhamsted Center Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); Barkhamsted Soldiers Memorial (approx. 3.4 miles away); Hollow Church Bell (approx. 3.4 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker is located in Chapin Park which is part of the Pine Meadow Historic District, established in 1987.
Also see . . .
1. Pine Meadow Historic District. (Submitted on February 16, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
2. Hermon Chapin & his factory. (Submitted on February 16, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
3. Edward Chapin, son of Hermon. (Submitted on February 16, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
4. Ovation Guitar Company. (Submitted on February 16, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
5. Elias Howe, Jr. (Submitted on February 16, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 16, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 214 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 16, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.