Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
The Residence of Treasurer Cristóbal de Santa Clara
La Casa del Tesorero Cristóbal de Santa Clara
Esta edificación fue iniciada en 1505 sirviendo de casa morada del tesorero Cristobal de Santa Clara. En 1508 por disposición de S.A.R. Don Fernando el Catolico sirvió de asiento a la casa de contratación y luego fue sede de la Real Audiencia y Chancilleria de Santo Domingo, primera del Nuevo Mundo, creada por la Real Provision de S.A.R. La Reina Doña Juana 1ra de Castilla en Burgos el 5 de Octubre de 1511
Suprema Corte de Justicia
5 de octubre de 1992
Año del Quinto Centenario
This building was begun in 1505 to serve as the residence of the treasurer Cristóbal de Santa Clara. In 1508 by order of His Royal Highness Ferdinand The Catholic it served as the seat of the Office of Contracts. It then hosted the Royal Court and Chancery of Santo Domingo, the first of the New World, created by the Royal Provision of Her Royal Highness Queen Juana I of Castile in Burgos on October 5, 1511
October 5, 1992
Year of the 5th Century
Location. 18° 28.544′ N, 69° 52.98′ W. Marker is in Santo Domingo, Santo Domingo. Marker can be reached from Calle Las Damas just from Calle Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chapel of Our Lady of the Remedies (a few steps from this marker); House of the Jesuits (within shouting distance of this marker); Palace of the Governors (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dávila House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Colonial City of Santo Domingo (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pantheon of the Nation (within shouting distance of this marker); Christopher Columbus' Last Residence (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); The French Embassy (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santo Domingo.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 2, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 194 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 2, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 3. submitted on March 3, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.