Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Palace of the Governors
Palacio de los Gobernadores de la isla Española
Capitanes generales y presidente de la Real Audiencia,
primero de America construido alrededor de 1512
Sirvio de residencia a estos funcionarios reales durante la epoca colonial. En el periodo republicano
fue sede del gobierno nacional hasta el
año de 1947.
Con motivo XX aniversario de la fundacion
Palace of the Governors of the island Hispaniola.
Captains general and the president of the Royal Court, first in the Americas,
had it built around 1512, and it was used as the residence of these royal officials during the colonial era. In the Republican period it hosted the national government until 1947.
On occasion of the twentieth anniversary of the foundation
Location. 18° 28.565′ N, 69° 52.981′ W. Marker is in Santo Domingo, Santo Domingo. Marker can be reached from Calle Las Damas. Touch for map. The marker is on the northeast corner of the building, near to the large patio of the Diego Colón residence.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Colonial City of Santo Domingo (within shouting distance of this marker); The Residence of Treasurer Cristóbal de Santa Clara (within shouting distance Chapel of Our Lady of the Remedies (within shouting distance of this marker); House of the Jesuits (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dávila House (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Pantheon of the Nation (about 120 meters away); Palace of the Viceroy Diego Colón (about 150 meters away); Christopher Columbus' Last Residence (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santo Domingo.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 3, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 215 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 3, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.