Near Goldenrod in Orange County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The small community of Gabriella was located on SR 426 about a mile north of Goldenrod, between Goldenrod and Jamestown. The post office was established on July 31, 1886. Sherman Adams was the first post master. The post office was located west of SR 426, near where the Progress Energy facility building is located now.
In addition to the post office, Gabriella had a general store. An early railroad line was the Osceola & Lake Jesup Railroad, stretching from Oviedo through Gabriella to Winter Park and Orlando. The engineer sometimes would delay his train at Gabriela to let passengers pick oranges and wild flowers that would give nearby Goldenrod its name. A traveler in 1887 described "miles and miles of orange groves." Dubbed "The Dinky Line", all that is left is the small Dinky Line Park on Lake Virginia adjacent to Rollins College campus.
Numerous turpentine stills were operating in Gabriella in the late 1880s, and by the 1890's, Gabriella was hosting a local agricultural fair held in mid February at Mr. F.P. Fair's packing house.
In 1919, Gabriella
After a devastating hurricane hit the Lake Okeechobee area in September of 1926, many farm people moved to Gabriella from South Florida to find a safer place to farm. Today the orange groves, turpentine stills and wild flowers are gone and urban development has taken place where the small community once thrived.
Erected by Seminole County Historical Commission.
Location. 28° 37.021′ N, 81° 16.219′ W. Marker is near Goldenrod, Florida, in Orange County. Marker is at the intersection of Aloma Avenue (State Road 426) and Bear Gully Road, on the right when traveling west on Aloma Avenue. Touch for map. Located along the Cross Seminole Trail. Marker is in this post office area: Goldenrod FL 32733, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jamestown (approx. 2.1 miles away); Slavia (approx. 3.1 miles away); Oviedo (approx. 5.3 miles away); Fort Concord (approx. 5.5 miles away); Evergreen Cemetery (approx. 5.7 First Presbyterian Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); Fort Maitland / Maitland / Lake Maitland (approx. 5.7 miles away); Concord Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 137 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.