Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Apopka in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Forest City

 
 
Forest City Marker Side 1 image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, January 31, 2016
1. Forest City Marker Side 1
Inscription. (side 1)
The earliest settlers in this area arrived circa 1875. Among these settlers were Swedish families who relocated here from Sanford after their obligations to Gen. Sanford were met. It was known as Forest City by the time the area was platted in 1883. This platted area was 1/3 mile south of the intersection of SRs 434 and 436 and boasted a schoolhouse, a rail depot, a general store and a two story boarding house. Most of the surrounding area was planted with citrus trees. By the mid 1880s four railroads - a short line to Salt (Wekiva) Springs, the Orange Belt, the Florida Midland and a spur to the South Florida railroad, all served Forest City area providing a quick way for citrus to reach northern markets.
(Continued on other side)
(side 2)
(Continued from other side)
The great freeze of 1894/95 wiped out the citrus in Central Florida and resulted in the loss of most of the smaller communities in this area. Forest City survived with replanted citrus groves. Large citrus related businesses were located in Forest City in the 1920s. In 1926 Chester C. Fosgate packinghouse moved here followed by the first juice and canning plant in Florida in 1928. Citrus began to be displaced by urbanization starting in the 1970's and by the 1990's the packing,
Forest City Marker Side 2 image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, January 31, 2016
2. Forest City Marker Side 2
canning and concentrate plants were gone.

In 1925 the 7th Day Adventist church purchased 500 acres in Forest City north of SR 436 between Bear Lake and Lake Brantley Road and started Forest Lake Academy. Originally a boarding school for children of missionaries, the school has grown and the campus now includes a church and a nursing home.
 
Erected by Seminole County Historical Commission.
 
Location. 28° 40.184′ N, 81° 26.425′ W. Marker is near Apopka, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on State Road 436 east of Retzer Drive, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located south of the Forest Lake Seventh-day Adventist Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 515 Harley Lester Ln, Apopka FL 32703, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Community of Piedmont (approx. 2.1 miles away); Orange Belt Railway (approx. 2.8 miles away); Oldest Masonic Lodge Building in Continuous Use in Florida (approx. 3.7 miles away); Episcopal Church of the Holy Spirit (approx. 3.9 miles away); Seminole County (approx. 4.1 miles away); Moseley House
Forest City Marker with church in background image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, January 31, 2016
3. Forest City Marker with church in background
(approx. 5.3 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 5.4 miles away); a different marker also named Seminole County (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Apopka.
 
Categories. AgricultureRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 156 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement