Jacksonville in Duval County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Frederick W. Bruce
Hoping that warm Florida winters would improve the failing health of his mother, the Bruce family moved to St. Augustine in 1884. There Bruce provided surveying and site work services for construction projects in St. Augustine, including the Flagler Hotel. Employed by the Corps of Engineers, he served as fort keeper at Fort Mason (now Castillo de San Marcos) from 1885 to 1888. In 1888, Bruce moved to Mayport, Florida, to oversee the construction of the jetties. He then moved to South Jacksonville in 1906, and retired from the Corps in 1913 to become the Chief Engineer for the Jacksonville Board of Port Commissioners, where he would supervise the building of new municipal docks.
Bruce moved to Arlington
Bruce died in his Arlington residence in 1932. This Bruce Park was dedicated in 1955 to Frederick W. Bruce and Clara P. Bruce, and their descendants.
Erected 2009 by a grant from Comcast through Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority.
Location. 30° 20.011′ N, 81° 35.398′ W. Marker is in Jacksonville, Florida, in Duval County. Marker is on Arlington Road west of Rogero Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6651 Arlington Road, Jacksonville FL 32211, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jacksonville And The Movie Industry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Norman Silent Film Studios (approx. 0.2 miles away); Millers Creek (approx. 2.9 miles away); "Mother" Midway A.M.E. Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Mungen House (approx. 3.3 miles away); Old Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Home (approx. 3½ miles away); Site of Cow Ford (approx. 3.8 miles away); Duval County's First Court (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksonville.
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 170 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.