Near Plain City in Union County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Jerome United Methodist Church/Company E, 30th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Jerome United Methodist Church
The Methodist church was organized in Jerome in 1835 and has served the village continuously since then. Henry Beach hosted the first Methodist meetings in his home. He had the village of Jerome, then known as Beachtown, platted in 1846. A log church was erected in 1842 near Pleasant Hill Cemetery. A second church was built in 1860 on Town Street. The current sanctuary was constructed in March 1891. Ashford Stover kept the fires burning in the church stoves for 41 nights to keep the new plaster from freezing. In 1898, the Jerome Presbyterian Church joined the Jerome Methodist Church at this location.
Company E, 30th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Company E of the 30th Ohio Volunteer Infantry was the only full infantry company formed in Jerome Township. Capt. Elijah Warner organized the unit in the village of Jerome and it was mustered into the Union Army at Camp Chase in Columbus on August 29, 1861. A total of 102 men from the township fought in the regiment throughout the war, while approximately 25% of the total population of the Jerome Township served. Company E performed outstanding service, participating in the Antietam, Vicksburg, and Atlanta Campaigns, Sherman's March to the Sea and the March through the Carolinas, and
Erected 2011 by Jerome Township Trustees and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 13- 80.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 10.065′ N, 83° 10.567′ W. Marker is near Plain City, Ohio, in Union County. Marker is on Jerome Road (County Route 11) south of Ryan Parkway, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10531 Jerome Rd, Plain City OH 43064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jerome Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grand Carousel (approx. 2.9 miles away); Jack Nicklaus (approx. 3.2 miles away); Polish Patriot Thaddeus Kosciusko (approx. 3.2 miles away); Jerome Township Civil War Memorial (approx. 3.3 miles away); Jerome Township Soldiers' Monument (approx. 3.3 miles away); New California Church (approx. 3.3 miles away); Leatherlips (approx. 3.6 miles away).
Also see . . . Jerome United Methodist Church. (Submitted on March 24, 2016.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 198 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 23, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.