Dalhart in Dallam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Heartland of Old XIT Ranch
Inscription. Great Texas ranch of international fame. Payment made in an 1882 contract for the construction of granite capitol building in Austin. As contractors, some out-of-state investors (headed by the wealthy Chicago merchants, John V. and Senator C.B. Farwell) built the largest state capitol in North America and received in payment 3,000,000-acres of land. The grant, 200 miles long and of varying widths (enclosed later by a 6,000-mile barbed wire fence), extended from near site of present Lubbock to the Oklahoma line 40 miles north of here. It included land in counties of Bailey, Castro, Cochran, Dallam, Deaf Smith, Hartley, Hockley, Lamb, Oldham, and Parmer. Trail Boss Abner Blocker delivered first herd to Buffalo Springs in 1885 and scratched the "XIT" in corral dust with boot heel to design famous brand. Although its land was parceled and sold, the XIT lives in Texas memories -especially here, 32 miles south of its Buffalo Springs headquarters. Dalhart holds an annual XIT reunion with rodeo and parade featuring a horse with an empty saddle, in honor of range riders of the past. Permanent tribute to XIT cowboys is this "empty saddle" monument, designed by western artist Bobby Dycke, dedicated in 1940.
By Bill Kirchner
1. Heartland of Old XIT Ranch Marker
Erected 1968 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2419.)
Marker has been confirmed missing. It was likely located near 36° 4.044′ N, 102° 31.378′ W. Marker was in Dalhart, Texas, in Dallam County. Marker could be reached from the intersection of North Denrock Avenue and Railroad Street. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Dalhart TX 79022, United States of America.
By Bill Kirchner, March 15, 2016
2. Site of Heartland of Old XIT Ranch Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Mrs. Cordia Sloan Duke (here, next to this marker but has been reported missing); Texas Sesquicentennial (approx. 0.4 miles away); James R. Fox, Jr. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dallam County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dalhart Army Air Field (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. James Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dallam County (approx. 2.2 miles away); Hartley County (approx. 13 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dalhart.
More about this marker. Marker was removed,and placed in storage, by City of Dalhart due to construction on Denrock Avenue.
Marker is to be replaced at the end of construction in the spring of 2017.
Categories. • Agriculture • Animals •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 227 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 23, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.